I’m nearing the finish line on my book… I am posting the Table of Contents so you can get an idea of what topics are covered.
The Diarrhea Dietitian: Expert Advice, Practical Solutions, and Strategic Nutrition
Chapter 1 Let’s Get Started!
Chapter 2 Basic Nutrition, Normal Anatomy and Physiology of the GI Tract: What Goes in Must Come Out
- Food Composition Basics—Macronutrients
- Food Composition Basics—Micronutrients
- Over the Teeth, Past the Gums, Look Out Stomach, Here It Comes!
- Digestion—What Is It?
Chapter 3 What is Diarrhea?
- Defining Diarrhea
- Types of Diarrhea
- Potential Causes of Diarrhea
- Bristol Stool Chart
- Stool Color Guide
Chapter 4 Troublesome Foods, Ingredients, and Intolerances
- Lactose Intolerance
- Fructose Malabsorption
- Polyols or Sugar Alcohols
- Acidic or Spicy Foods
- Greasy and High-Fat Foods
- Simple Ways to Remember Which Foods Aggravate Diarrhea
Chapter 5 What CAN I Eat?
Chapter 6 Constipation and Constipating Foods
Chapter 7 The Effects of Stress
Chapter 8 Probiotics and Prebiotics
- What Are Probiotics?
- What Are Prebiotics?
- Which Probiotic Should I Take and How Much?
Chapter 9 Medications and Diarrhea
- Diarrhea as a Side Effect from Medications
- Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea
- Clostridium difficile
- Medications for Treatment of Diarrhea
- Bulking Agents and Fibers
- Medications and Malabsorption
Chapter 10 Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and the FODMAPs Diet
- Treatment for IBS
- What Are FODMAPs?
- Examples of FODMAPs
- Should I try the FODMAPs diet?
Chapter 11 Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and Ostomies
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
- Probiotics for IBD
- Ileostomy and Colostomy
Chapter 12 Celiac Disease
- How Do You Get Celiac Disease?
- Testing for Celiac Disease
- Should I Try a Gluten-Free Diet before Diagnosis?
- Treatment for Celiac Disease
- What Is Gluten?
- Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
- Gluten-Free Apps
Chapter 13 Food Allergies, Intolerances, and Sensitivities
Chapter 14 Pancreatic Insufficiency
Chapter 15 Esophageal, Stomach, and Intestinal Surgery
Chapter 16 Other Causes of Diarrhea—Hormones, Serotonin, Bile-Acids, Cancer Treatment, Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, Running, and Gas
Chapter 17 Dehydration, Electrolytes, Vitamins, and Minerals
- Replacing Electrolytes
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
Chapter 18 Acute Diarrhea
Chapter 19 Discussing Diarrhea with your Doctor
Chapter 20 Nutritional Needs for Diarrhea
Glossary of Terms
Appendix A Daily Journal
Appendix B Sample Daily Journal
Appendix C Easy-To-Digest and Low-Fiber Diet
Appendix D Low–Lactose Diet